Friday, January 6, 2012

Words of Wisdom for 2012


We find time for the things that are important to us. Period.
~ Scott Douglas, Scott’s Original Miscellany, Running Times – March 2011
I always find time to run. It doesn’t matter how hectic life is, I run through it. My goal for 2012 is to make writing as big a part of my daily routine. A day without a run makes me twitchy. A day without writing is just another day -I rarely give it a second thought until I go to bed and realize, “Shoot! I didn’t write today! Oh well.” Commence snoring, which is to say that a day without writing doesn’t plague me with guilt and keep me up at night like a day without running does. Don’t get me wrong — I don’t want to add more guilt to my life, but I do want to make writing as important as running so that I will be motivated to do it everyday. Now how do I do that?
Other bloggers have given me some great suggestions in just one word -
Cyndi @ Walking in Grace and Beauty‘s word for 2012 – Focus
Cyndi reminds me to keep my focus on what is truly important – my relationship with the Lord. Running enriches this relationship and so does writing. Through running I grow closer to God and writing brings me closer to Him as well. By focusing on my faith, running and writing become monumentally important and worthwhile pursuits.
Mel @ Adventuroo‘s word for 2012 – Simplify
Mel reminds me to keep it simple and not make writing overly complicated. My everyday writing does not have to lead to a published manuscript. Everyday writing can be simple and straightforward.
To me running is about the journey, not the destination. The very simple act of putting one foot in front of the other soothes frazzled nerves and renews my spirit. It can be the same with writing. Focusing on the simple act of writing and not on publishing the finished product, will go a long way in helping to make writing a daily habit.
Photo Credit - Microsoft Clip Art

Are you an everyday writer who wants to make exercise an everyday habit? Is there a way we can help each other? Can I mail you a slice of my running drive and you mail me a sliver of your drive to write? Do you have a word for 2012?

*Originally posted on Pocketful of Playdough

No comments:

Post a Comment