Friday, April 19, 2013

A-Z Essentials For Running During Pregnancy - Q

Brooks Arch Tab Running Socks
@ Dicks Sporting Goods
I admit I've struggled with essentials beginning with the letter 'Q'. This one came to me a few weeks ago in the middle of my third trimester when I realized that all socks are not created equal.

Quality socks are essential to running during pregnancy.

I splurge and spend a bit more money on socks specifically designed for running like Thor-Lo, Brooks, or Under Armour because I like the way they feel - thin but cushioned in the ball and heel, lightweight, but thick enough to prevent chafing and breathable to keep my feet dry.

Experia Powered by Thor-Lo Running Socks
@ Dicks Sporting Goods
However, sometime around the beginning of my trimester, blame it on pregnancy brain, or just plain absentmindedness, I found myself running in plain old Hanes socks, which is why I believe I developed major blisters on the balls of both my feet during an 8 mile run.

I might not have put two and two together if not for randomly pulling a pair of pink Thor-Los out of my sock drawer one morning and realizing what I'd been doing. Since rectifying my mistake, I've remained blister free.

6 comments:

  1. I am picky about socks myself. I like them to FIT! So many are baggy in the toe or the heal is halfway up my calf when I pull them up. Too bad we can't try them on BEFORE we buy them! At least Goodwill benefits--they get new socks from me periodically. I just hope they fit the person who purchases them next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem I've had with regular socks is that they seem to leave marks on my skin.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the tips. Socks are surprisingly important even to those of us who just walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not 'just' walking, Joan! Walking is great for you too!

      Delete
  3. Ah, I see that quality socks are important, but I confess that I love colorful socks--my blue wolf socks, my purple socks with orange pumpkins, my Christmas ornament socks, my puppy socks, ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy colorful and patterned socks too, Joy! I have some pretty spring socks I'm enjoying right now!

      Delete