Monday, April 22, 2013

A-Z Essentials For Running During Pregnancy - S

Saucony Cohesion 6
The great thing about running is that it doesn't require a lot of equipment. All you need are a pair of shoes, and some runners don't even bother with those! Although for me, shoes are a running essential!

Since I started running in junior high school, I've worn many different brands including, Nike, Addidas, and Brooks. I ran my first marathon in Brooks and loved them, but my preferred brand of shoe is Saucony.

While the proper shoe for your foot type is always important, it's even more important during pregnancy when ligaments and joints are looser and more prone to injury. To determine what type of running shoe is right for your foot, take this test to determine whether you have medium, flat, or high arches.


  • Medium Arches = normal pronation - can wear any shoe
  • Flat Arches = over pronation - should wear motion- control or stability shoes
  • High Arches = under pronation - should wear neutral-cushioned shoes without added stability or support. (I fall into this category.)


The Brooks Blog says that you should replace your shoes every 300-500 miles. While The Runners Guide gives a more in-depth look at various factors that affect when to retire the old and bring in the new.

Typically, I replace my shoes every six months, which I found out was way too long during pregnancy. From now on, I'm going to do a better job tracking the mileage on my shoes and paying closer attention to any little aches and pains that would indicate my shoes have finished their race.

Repinned from infographicsarchive.com

7 comments:

  1. I find even with walking shoes wearing them past their prime is detrimental to my feet. Good advice here, Brianna!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! It doesn't seem like shoes should have a 'prime' unless the sole is falling off. I have hoards of old running shoes because they don't appear to be in bad shape :(

      Delete
  2. I want to be a runner, but my body disagrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say Exercise is so important during pregnancy, so this is good advice.
    -Maurice Mitchell
    The Geek Twins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maurice. Exercise is great for mommy and baby!

      Delete
  4. This was great information for any person who needs to by sneakers! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete