|Photo Credit - Jeltovski|
It's ideal that we get our vitamins and minerals from the food we eat, but in some cases, like pregnancy, a supplement is recommended (at least by my doctor).
Essential vitamins and minerals for pregnant runners include:
- Vitamin B6 - Found in baked potatoes, banannas, chicken, tuna and fortified cereals.
- Vitamin D - Our bodies make it when we are exposed to sunlight, so running outdoors is a great way to get vitamin D. This is one vitamin that is difficult to get from food alone.
- Vitamin C - Found in oranges, strawberries, broccoli, tomatoes, green beans, and bell peppers.
- Vitamin B12 - Found in meat, dairy and eggs.
- Calcium - Found in milk, yogurt, cheese, dark leafy vegetables and fortified cereals.
- Iron - Is found and absorbed most easily from red meat and dark poultry; however, as a vegetarian, I get my iron from beans and spinach. It's harder to absorb iron from these sources but combining spinach with oranges makes it easier to absorb.
In addition to those I've listed, runners also need potassium and sodium, while pregnant women need vitamin A/beta carotene, vitamin E, vitamin B1, B2, B3, folic acid, and zinc.
Helpful Links -