Friday, April 26, 2013

A-Z Essentials For Running During Pregnancy - W

A watch is essential for all runners, pregnant women are no exception.

Watches range from simple to elaborate. My current watch is the Timex Ironman.

It's not very fashionable, but I never take it off - even, sadly to say, when I dress up. It's pretty comfortable. It has some useful features like a 100 hr. chronograph with lap or split option; 30-lap memory recall; 24-hr. countdown timer with stop and repeat capabilities and includes 99-lap counter, forward/backward setting and built-in setting reminders (taken from the website description).

Of course, since I've been pregnant I've only ever used my watch to track how long I've run. All the 'features' have been neglected. Okay, honestly, I never really used the features before I was pregnant either, but I liked that they were there and always intended to use them.

The two options lacking on my watch are a heart-rate monitor and GPS. After my daughter was born, five years ago, I had a watch with a heart rate monitor, which was a true benefit to my fitness. I could tell when I needed to push harder. But when it died, I replaced it with the Ironman, My intention was to eventually replace the heart rate monitor, which never seemed to happen because I'm so content with my current watch.

I've never had a watch with GPS, but it would be awesome to be able to accurately record my time, pace and distance. It's on my wishlist, but with a five year old and a baby on the way, it's really hard to justify the expense. 


What watch do you wear? Do you recommend the Nike + Sportwatch GPS powered by TomTom?

I basically use my watch to tell time, but would love to use it to support and improve my running, especially once baby is born.

4 comments:

  1. I'm lucky to even remember to wear my watch. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever worn a watch much when running, just used a pedometer or my iPod which has a clock... I bet a good watch would give some useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wore a diver's watch for years--not very feminine, but practical for working and getting it wet a lot... It finally gave up, and I just wear regular watches now 'cause I don't need such a practical watch anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A watch with a heart rate monitor? I didn't know such a thing existed!

    I have only had one watch in my life time that I adored and that went missing a few years back. I worked in a restaurant and it held up fairly well. Will need something that can withstand hot grease and lots of water... ;)

    ReplyDelete