|Photo Credit - Morguefile.com|
Caffeine was my go-to source of energy when I wasn't pregnant, but now I have to rely on natural energy found in food, exercise, yoga poses, and of course, sleep.
In the first trimester, I was so nauseous it was hard to eat anything. Nothing appealed to me. After a month into my second trimester, the nausea finally subsided and eating was easier.
Before a run, I eat a banana. I think of it as my 'energy shot'. After a run, I typically have an apple with peanut butter crackers, which is funny to me because when I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't be hungry for at least two hours after running, but now, I feel famished after I finish.
Energizing foods -
- whole grains (harder to eat during the first trimester)
- oranges (a favorite during my first trimester)
- strawberries (a favorite now)
- yogurt (also seems to help with heartburn)
- edamame (my mom actually introduced me to this food over Christmas)
Yoga poses also provide a natural energy boost. My go-to poses for quick energy are -
- Cat pose to cow pose
- Downward facing dog
- Triangle pose (with support like a block or chair)
- Eagle pose
*I'll have more about yoga and its benefits later in the challenge.