Friday, April 5, 2013

A-Z Essentials For Running During Pregnancy - E

Photo Credit - Morguefile.com
Energy is essential for every runner. A pregnant runner is no exception.

Caffeine was my go-to source of energy when I wasn't pregnant, but now I have to rely on natural energy found in food, exercise, yoga poses, and of course, sleep.

In the first trimester, I was so nauseous it was hard to eat anything. Nothing appealed to me. After a month into my second trimester, the nausea finally subsided and eating was easier.

Before a run, I eat a banana. I think of it as my 'energy shot'. After a run, I typically have an apple with peanut butter crackers, which is funny to me because when I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't be hungry for at least two hours after running, but now, I feel famished after I finish.

Energizing foods -
  • whole grains (harder to eat during the first trimester)
  • oranges (a favorite during my first trimester)
  • strawberries (a favorite now)
  • yogurt (also seems to help with heartburn)
  • almonds
  • edamame (my mom actually introduced me to this food over Christmas)

Links - 
http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/10-energy-foods
http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/4_natural_fuel_foods_for_your_next_workout
http://www.livestrong.com/article/32161-foods-natural-energy-boosters/

Yoga poses also provide a natural energy boost. My go-to poses for quick energy are -
  • Cat pose to cow pose
  • Downward facing dog
  • Triangle pose (with support like a block or chair)
  • Eagle pose
*I'll have more about yoga and its benefits later in the challenge. 

6 comments:

  1. You have some great tips, and the running is so good to keep you fit, I can see with all the races you've done you quite experienced. Will be linking to your blog in my F posts tomorrow, blessings for now. Amanda
    Amanda - Realityarts-Creativity
    Art Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda and blessings to you too!

      Delete
  2. I have never thought of yoga as energizing, but I guess that makes sense. I keep meaning to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the breathing in yoga - it gets the blood moving that provides an energy boost.

      Delete
  3. When I do it consistently and correctly, exercise is actually energizing for me. Hadn't thought about yoga as energizing but maybe it's the blood running to our brains when we do downward facing dog that does the trick. (LOL) Great tips, Brianna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. Exercise is energizing but it's hard to exercise when you're tired so it's also a bit tricky.

      Delete