Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A-Z Essentials For Running During Pregnancy - H

Photo Credit - Morguefile.com


Without question, H2O is an essential for every runner, but especially during pregnancy when dehydration can lead to serious consequences, not only for the runner, but also for the baby. 

The standard recommendation that everyone should drink eight  eight-ounce glasses of water (or H2O) a day has come into question. 

This article at Runner's World suggests using the following formula to determine how much water we should consume:

Male Drinking Requirement, in fluid ounces:
Body Weight x .35
Female Drinking Requirement, in fluid ounces:
Body Weight x .31

In this article, The American Pregnancy Association recommends that pregnant women consume "10-12 cups of fluids each day". 

I just try to drink as much water as I can. On a normal day, I drink about 60 ounces of water throughout the day. On running days, in addition to my regular 60 ounces I drink :
16 ounces an hour before I run
 8 ounces throughout the run
16 ounces after the run
This article suggests drinking 4-6 ounces of water every 20 minutes during a run and if you are running faster than 8 minute miles, then drink 6-8 ounces every 20 minutes.

No matter how you break it down, H2O is an absolute running essential!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the recommendation for amount of water to drink.

    How is your running going this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Dawn!
      It's going very well, thanks for asking :) Although I told Toby, it got too hot too fast!

      Delete
  2. At my age if I drank that much before I ran and while I was running, I'd be running even faster so I could get home in time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh believe me, I have to make potty stops!

      Delete
  3. I like your theme, and I never thought of using a formula for a word. I'm impressed! (Hmm. I can't think of any formulas used out west.)

    ReplyDelete