Monday, April 1, 2013

Weekly Running Wrap-Up

March 25-31, 2013
30 Weeks Pregnant


Well the week started out fine, turned pretty ugly, but finished alright.

In spite of another (and I hope FINAL) snowstorm, Monday's run went as planned. Thankfully, it being late March, even a lot of snow doesn't stick around for long and I got to run in the evening when the roads and trails in the park were clear - although it was cold and still sleeting outside. I admit I felt a bit tired, but at 30 weeks pregnant, when don't I feel tired?

Photo Credit - Faith Laces
Tuesday I considered not running, but only for a few minutes. About 30 minutes into it, I felt some pain in the bottom of my left foot, as I continued running the pain increased and moved to my ankle and my calf. I stopped a couple of times and tried walking, but walking didn't make the pain lessen so I continued to run and finally finished.

I wasn't in great pain afterwards, but I definitely knew something was wrong. My last 'injury' happened in January. I woke up one morning with pain along the outside of my right foot that I could't explain. It seemed to develop overnight and out of nowhere. I continued to run and the pain moved to my ankle. For an entire day I could barely walk. For two days I limped and wasn't able to run for a week. At least this time I could figure out what caused the problem.

Last week I got a blister on the ball of my left foot, which caused me to under pronate, or in other words when my foot landed the impact was being absorbed by the outer side of the foot and putting more stress on my lower leg, especially to the peroneus longus muscle.

I knew I couldn't run on it without risking the pain moving to my ankle so I took the next 3 days in a row off to rest it, which seems to have worked. I was able to run without causing any pain on Saturday and Sunday, but I kept the runs short.

Here's hoping this next week will be pain AND snow free!

No comments:

Post a Comment