Monday, April 8, 2013

Weekly Running Wrap-Up

April 1-7, 2013
31 Weeks Pregnant

No snow + No injuries = a good week.

Although there was no snow, the first part of the week still felt like winter, but by Friday there were finally signs of spring.
Photo Credit - Faith Laces
Finally! Spring is in the air!

I did come to the conclusion on Wednesday that I may have to decrease my miles on my 'long run' days. It seems that after 5 miles, I start feeling pain in my feet or legs. I'm guessing it's the added weight, looser joints, or a changing center of gravity, but who knows? Whatever the reason, it's bumming me out.

I was prepared not to be able to do 14 mile long runs as my pregnancy progressed. It was hard realizing I couldn't do 10 miles anymore once I reached the middle of my second trimester and now I worry in another month I won't even  be able to run 5 miles at one time.

I've never been a fast runner, but I can (usually) run for a long time. It's disappointing not being able to even though I still want to. Thankfully, someone I respect reminded me that even if I'm not doing what I used to do, my body is still working hard and there are still many benefits to running (even shorter distances) for me and the baby - like better blood circulation, more oxygen to the baby, and I'm hopeful it will help make me stronger during labor and delivery and lessen the possibility for complications.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious? Did you run with your other child(ren) and if so, did you have to wean your runs for those pregnancy(s) also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie,
    I had bad morning sickness with my daughter so this is my first pregnancy running.

    ReplyDelete