Monday, May 13, 2013

Weekly Running Wrap-Up

May 5 - May 12, 2013
36 Weeks Pregnant
Photo Credit - Faith Laces

This week's highlights include spotting a tiny baby turtle and a live snake, both of which I stopped to photograph. As I paused, pulled out my phone and snapped the picture of the snake, it hit me how drastically different my runs are now than they were nine months ago.
Photo Credit - Faith Laces

Back then I never would have stopped to take a picture of a tiny snake or even noticed the tiny turtle because I was moving too fast and was too focused on my time to really take in my surroundings.

Now that 'fast' is just a fond memory, I see a lot more when I run. Just a few months ago, this would have bothered me, but now with the 'finish line' of my pregnancy in sight, I can appreciate the differences in my running.

While I'm looking forward to running at a faster pace, I'm also going to miss running at a pregnant snail's pace. I'll miss my little running buddy kicking and moving in my belly. I'll miss the heightened awareness of seeing and experiencing the little things, like the icicles on tree limbs turning to brown buds and blossoming into pretty pink flowers.

In a few weeks, I'll still be able to run with my baby and experience the glories of nature, but it will all be in a different way. This change will be hard at first, but I have to accept that nothing stays the same forever - in running and in life.

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing what we can see when we slow down!
    P.S. Is that a baby snapping turtle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I were as disciplined and dedicated as you are when it comes to exercise!! Being able to be outside (in nice weather)does tend to motivate me but the nice weather has been definitely limited and irregular! Ah well, I tell myself "some exercise is better than none"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are "good" with the slow pace now! Way to look on the positive and bright side! Cool sights on your run!

    Hugs....miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But, it appears you are stopping to smell the roses (and see the snake and turtle).

    ReplyDelete