Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A-Z Essentials For Running During Pregnancy - N

I interrupt my regularly scheduled A-Z post to bring you this special message. Today N is for No words. I have no words to describe the horrible tragedy that occurred at the Boston Marathon. My prayers are with the victims and their families.

****
Good Nutrition is always essential for everyone all the time. During pregnancy, it becomes doubly important because we are nurturing our bodies and another life inside us. And if we are running during pregnancy, nutrition becomes even more vital to not only nurture our baby, but to keep up our energy and health so that we have the strength to run.
Photo Credit - Microsoft Clip Art

Nutritional guidelines abound. A simple 'Google' search yields a ton of helpful articles with tips and meal plans. In the interest of keeping it short and simple, here are the tips I've tried to follow during my pregnancy:

  • Eat whole grains/high fiber.
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Eat fresh fruit and vegetables.
  • Limit processed foods and sugar.

Photo Credit - Microsoft Clip Art
Oatmeal for breakfast keeps me feeling full during the morning before my run. Eating a pre-run snack like a banana or raisins gives me a quick boost of energy and an apple and peanut butter crackers after a run replenish my strength.

As a vegetarian, I worried about getting enough iron. I didn't want to rely on my prenatal vitamin. Spinach is a great source of iron and when combined with oranges, the iron is more readily absorbed into our bodies. So I've tried to include the following salad (adapted from my father-in-law's popular recipe) in my diet as often as possible:

Ingredients -

  • lettuce
  • fresh spinach
  • mandarin oranges

Dressing (equal parts) -

  • vegetable oil (can substitute olive oil, but it's not as sweet)
  • apple cider vinegar
  • honey
I don't think about my diet every second of every day, I just try to be conscious of what I'm eating.

3 comments:

  1. I love Ron's mandarin salad. So good to know it is healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love orange spinach salad! Another salad I have been eating a lot is a kale-brussels sprouts salad (I actually posted about it on K day). I like raw brussels sprouts far more than I thought I would! And they are really rich in a lot of nutrients, including iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great recipe, Sherilee! I've pinned it to my recipe board :)

      Delete